Discussion Question 2 – Applying Jean Watson’s Theory on Human Caring/Caring Science Core Principles to APN Practice
Jean Watson’s Theory of Human Caring/Caring Science is one theoretical framework used throughout the USU College of Nursing courses. The practice implication of Watson’s Human Caring Theory evolves our thinking and approaches to patient care from a mindset of carative (cure) to one of caritas (care). The core principles/practice are founded on a:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Prayctice of loving-kindness and equanimity
- Authentic presence: enabling deep belief of other (patient, colleague, family, etc.)
- Cultivation of one’s own spiritual practice toward wholeness of mind/body/spirit—beyond ego
- “Being” the caring-healing environment
- Allowing miracles (openness to the unexpected and inexplicable life events)
Some individuals are comfortable framing their practice with Watson while other prefer different theories or collection of theories. However, Watson is based on caring which a foundation of nursing. Anyone could use the core principles to guide decision making. Select one of the core principles and discuss ways you might be able to use in guiding your advanced practice nursing practices.
Watson’s Caring Science Institute. (2018). Core concepts of Jean Watson’s Theory of Human Caring/Caring Science. Retrieved August 20, 2018 from https://www.watsoncaringscience.org/files/PDF/watsons-theory-of-human-caring-core-concepts-and-evolution-to-caritas-processes-handout.pdf
- Jean Watson’s Philosphy of Nursing – http://currentnursing.com/nursing_theory/Watson.html
Watson, J. (2008). Nursing: The philosophy and science of caring (rev. ed.), Boulder: University Press of Colorado.
- Length: A minimum of 250 words, not including references
- Citations: At least one high-level scholarly reference in APA from within the last 5 years