The purpose of the assignment is to guide students in identifying behaviors and interactions that commonly occur during the health history portion of a well-child exam. In doing so, students can develop strategies to improve anticipatory guidance and health education by using effective, non-biased, and non-judgmental communication.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
Synthesize information in which addresses child health promotion, developmental surveillance, observation of parent-child interaction, anticipatory guidance, social determinants of health, and/or cultural competence.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- As you view the video, observe the parent-child and the parent-provider interactions. Pay particular attention to the parent’s responses to the provider’s questions making note of inappropriate and appropriate responses.
- Choose five (5) topics from the following categories to complete the assignment:
- Cognitive Developmental Milestones
- Physical Developmental Milestones
- Social-Emotional Developmental Milestones
- Alcohol/Substance Use
- Environmental Health Risks
- Temper Tantrums and Discipline
- Sleep Routines
- Car Seat Safety
- Healthy Teeth
- You will develop and complete a table for each one of the five (5) categories using the example below as a guide. (Note: There are at least 10 categories addressed in the video, you must choose five (5) and create a separate table for each one).
- For each of the tables, complete each section:
- Issue: Category name
- Negative interaction/behavior: What did you see or hear that was inappropriate?
- Positive interaction/behavior: What did you see that was appropriate?
- Guidelines/recommendation: What does the research recommend?
- Scholarly reference: Must be in APA format within the table.
- Professional/Ethical Communication: How will provide non-judgmental and non-bias education regarding the issue identified? Needs to be at least 3 sentences. Helpful Hints: Acknowledge how they feel, state the facts, and provide education or re-frame the approach.
- Scholarly references should be peer-reviewed, preferably a Clinical Practice Guideline (CPG), intended for providers (MDs, NPs) and no more than 5 years old (unless it is a clinical practice guideline’s most recent update).
Preparing the Paper
- The table provided below is an example only. It cannot be used to satisfy the requirements for any part of the assignment.
- You may format your tables according to your preference, but APA format is required for the reference column.